A. Pistol practice:
– 3×30 second holds in the bottom of the pistol squat, alternating legs. Do these on a box if needed, or on the floor (30 seconds is a looong time in this position on the floor, so you may need to dial back the time a bit). Keep your chest up, and maintain an active hip and core.
– Deck squat practice (some good progressions here), moving towards doing a pistol squat (if you have the strength to do so).
– EMOM x 5: 30 seconds AMRAP of pistols, or scale to lightly weighted reverse lunges.
B. Open workout 20.4 or variation.
A. Snatch – 4×2, working at a moderately heavy weight (75-85%), provided your technique is solid.
B. Snatch pulls – 3×2 @ 100% or more of your max snatch.
C. For individual times:
Row 1000 m at 90% effort
Rest 4 minutes
Row 1000 m at 100% effort.
What does 90% effort feel like? It’s subjective, of course, but basically just go hard, but not all out on the first effort, and then push the pace on the second one.
Compare to Jan 30 2019, Jan 25 2017.
A. Front squats – 4 sets of 7-8 reps @73% (same weight as last week, but increase the reps by 1 or 2).
B. 8 minute AMRAP of:
8 power cleans (115/75)
A. Handstand push-up practice:
– EMOM for 6 rounds: 2-8 reps of handstand push-ups
– Every 30 seconds for a total of 6 minutes (13 sets): 2-6 push-ups. Pick a number and try to stick with it. Choose your rep number so that you’re completing your push-ups in no more than about 15 seconds. Otherwise you will not have sufficient rest before the next set.
B. Every 90 seconds for 10 rounds: 2 laps of the turf, at sprint speed (make sure you are well warmed up). We’ll run two heats on 45 second intervals if the track gets a bit crowded.
C. 4 max effort sets of controlled mountain climbers on the rings. Scale to the floor or parallettes if needed. One foot must always be on the ground, i.e. no jumping from foot to foot.
Skill work of your choice (or your coach’s choice), plus a conditioning workout from earlier this week OR an entire workout from earlier this week.
A. Pulling strength and technique:
- 10 minutes of rope climb practice and/or pegboard practice. Partial rope climbs, pulls from the floor, and footwork practice are all fair game if you’re not able to do a full rope climb yet.
- 2 max effort sets of L pull-ups (on pull-up bar or rings, or modified to max bent arm tuck holds (aim to keep your chin over the bar or ring height).
B. Double baseline!
Two rounds for time of:
500 m row
You will need to approach this with a different pacing strategy than you would for the usual single round, so don’t go out too hot at the beginning. Some of you may also need to consider scaling some of the movements (reps or difficulty) a bit differently, such as the sit-ups and push-ups. Compare to Nov 28 2018.
A. With a partner for 3 rounds:
3 minutes of work at each station, with 30 seconds of rest/transition:
Station 1: Sled push 1 lap / max push-ups (scale to a plank hold if the arms give out!)
Station 2: D-ball or sandbag bearhug hold / max toes-to-bar
Station 3: Accumulate calories on the bike, switching as needed (both people must participate however).